Physical therapists aren’t just for people that are injured or have had surgery. Physical therapists can also help healthy people improve their exercise routine. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider seeing yours.
1. You want a baseline. When you see a physical therapist to improve your fitness, you’ll get an assessment of your strength, range of motion, posture, and movement patterns. This not only helps your physical therapist design a customized program just for you, it gives them a baseline to compare things to in the future should you start having pain or suffer an injury.
2. You want expert guidance. Sure, other professionals could help with your exercise routine, but the fitness industry is not well regulated. While many fitness professionals are knowledgeable and keep up with current education, some certifications only require an online course and paying a fee. There are no licenses or other requirements to use certain titles and therefore, there is no way of knowing who is truly knowledgeable. As of 2020, to become a Physical Therapist, you are now required to go through a Doctorate program. Every Physical Therapist has passed a national board exam and maintains a state license through advanced education courses. That guarantees you that every physical therapist is a verified expert in human movement.
3. You want to prevent injury. Physical therapists don’t just work to heal injuries, they are also experts in preventing them. After a thorough assessment, a PT can help you design an exercise program that will not only help you reach your exercise goals, but that can address any issues that increase your risk for injury.
4. You want unbiased advice. Yoga instructors will want you to do yoga. Personal trainers will want you to come to their gym. Pilates instructors will want you to do Pilates. Strength coaches will want you to strength train. A physical therapist doesn’t have a bias or vested interest as to what type of fitness regimen you choose. Every person is different, therefore, may require different methods to train. Physical Therapists are only interested in helping you reach your goals safely and efficiently, no matter what type of training you prefer.
5. You have a history. If you have some kind of history that affects your ability to exercise, a PT is the best person to help you design a fitness regimen. Physical Therapists are highly-skilled medical professionals, meaning they have the knowledge and expertise to not only help with your fitness regimen, but also know how to work safely around other medical conditions. It doesn’t matter if it’s an old injury from athletics or work, back pain that comes up from time to time, COPD, arthritis or heart disease, a PT can help you safely work around it and meet your fitness goals.
At TORQ Physical Therapy, we are conveniently located within Riverton Health & Fitness Center, a family-owned, local gym. RHFC offers personal training to its members and hosts a variety of group fitness classes. The trainers here not only hold the most renowned certifications, but also have years of experience training clients. This is not something you can get in a big-box gym!
However, if you feel that you’ve been suffering from an injury or want to decrease your risk of an injury, consider stopping by our office to have us help with your exercise regimen before taking the next step in your fitness journey!
TORQ PT offers Wellness & Personal Training appointments for anyone who wants to:
- Improve their overall health and/or fitness level
- Decrease risk of injury
- Live a healthy, active lifestyle
- Prevent random aches and pains
- Just feel better throughout their daily activities